Saturday, July 12, 2008

Today I become an Ironman

I am not in Austria. There will be no swim, no medal will be hung round my neck and no finish line celebration will happen. But what I do today will play a huge roll in whether or not I cross the finish line in Kentucky.

"Today I become an Ironman" is what I said to myself as I headed off for 90 miles around the Cleveland Metroparks.

I have to say, my attitude is back where I want it. When it began to rain midway through, I repeated this verse. When the climb out of the valley got tough, I repeated this verse. When I arrived home to see my running shoes waiting for the brick portion, I repeated this verse. When I finished my workout I repeated this verse.

"Today I become an Ironman".

What I do today is what matters most.

I did get a mini finish line celebration as I finished. E-Speed and E-Husband were headed to Tommy's for some dinner and saw me finish. E called out my name. Boy was I relieved to see someone that appreciates 7 hrs of sweat and grime. She is also one of those folks that I am glad to see every time I do.
So thanks Elizabeth for the finish line celebration. Today I became an Ironman.

2 comments:

triguyjt said...

way to hammer it charlie...

you'll look back at those 7 hours when you finish in ky next month...

E-Speed said...

Great job Charlie! Sorry we couldn't hang out longer (turns out we couldv'e our friends were running extremely late) You looked pretty darn good for just having finished 90 miles!!!