Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sweet Corn Challenge.....LOST!

I made a last minute training change Friday and decided to do an organized century ride. The sweet corn challenge begins and ends in Richfield Ohio just south of Cleveland. The ride is known for very tough hills and a feast of corn and chicken. I left the chickens off of my plate. Lots of CTC members took part including a strong showing by the IMKY group. For whatever reason the men and women all seemed to ride as two groups. I am unable to keep pace with the women, so I tried my hand with the fellas.

As we departed we immediately saw a down rider and an ambulance. I also realized that the rider was part of the fem' CTC group. I will refer you to Daisy Duc, Jodi, or Elizabeth's blog for details(all in my side bar). This caused lots of concern within our group, but it was being handled, so we peddled on.

The weather was great. The course is north east Ohio farm country. Aid staitions were well stocked. The hills were very challenging. I rode well and felt like I was getting in a good day of riding in.

Following the final aid station was a very steep climb. at this point I had 10 miles to go. I followed the rider just ahead of me.....................................................................
............................................................................... and discovered that I was no longer on the course. He and I studied the map and made a wrong decision. We rode south for a bit and turned around. He lived near by, so he just went home. I backtracked in hopes of finding my way.

As I rolled up to an intersection I saw Jack. I asked, "are you the search party, or are you lost to?".

He was also lost. Well at least I would have the company of a friend in finding my way. We took a series of wrong turns, but eventually got back on course to a section of the course we had both ridden. The section of the course that included the very steep hill......We both swore and grunted as we were forced to ascend this awful beast of a climb once again. We did take comfort in knowing that we were getting a work out that would provide the confidence we both needed to head into the final month before Ironman. In all we rode 120 miles. We are ready.

We headed to the post ride feast and joined a few CTCers for some corn and food. YUM.

Since Thursday I have logged 190 miles. I feel strong. I am ready. Next Saturday, Bbop and I are headed to Steelhead for a dress rehearsal.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Wow, how frustrating! But what an awesome confidence boost for you.

I don't know how Brian is. Anxiously awaiting a blog entry...

Didn't remember that you were doing Steelhead too. Should be fun!

tracie said...

what a great ride charlie! see getting lost isn't always that bad, sometimes it brings us to exactly where we need to be!

good luck at steelhead, i will be thinking of everyone this weekend!

E-Speed said...

good seeing you yesterday Charlie! Good luck at Steelhead you should have a blast!

E-Speed said...

ps unfortunately Brian fractured his wrist and will have to get a plate in it. Bad series of luck for him lately.

triguyjt said...

120 miles of hay in the barn will do you good in kentucky or at steelhead...

hey, I'm sure the corn was great