Saturday, May 05, 2012

Since receiving my handcylce I have ridden every day except for one. That day I was out of town for a Folk Alliance one day conferance. My ambition as an athlete seems to have come back with a new hunger. The sport is new to me. Basics are still in play. Mental and physical endurance seems to be key. As I build on these two things, my strength is returning. My overall life focus is enjoying the benifit of endurance traing.
One downside to my increase in fitness is that while on the bike I am getting stronger and can travel great distances on my own power, once off I am again slowed by my disability. My lack of coordination, balance, leg strength, basic mobility become somewhat magnified in contrast to the way I am able to live while on the bike. It makes me think sometimes that my life would be more enjoyed with a wheelchair.
Ultimately though I am commited to struggle. I am committed to pushing beyond the comforts available to me. The key to me being able to use my legs is to use them. To choose a wheel chair at this point would be a choice to give up on myself. This would be counteractive to the choice to be active. This choice has been made more available, thanks to a very kind gift from CAF.

No comments: