Friday, May 08, 2009

Runners Envy

Today was a rest day. I have been training consistently. My body is in need of the kind of schedule that marathon tapering brings. Quick short jogs and an extra day off. My mileage will be cut drastically in the coming week. My body could use the rest . I am well aware of the benefits of tapering. The JT line"My body is aching and my time is at hand and I won't make it any other way" rings true a week before a marathon. My body and mind know this to be true, but my spirit and soul want to run.

As I walked to the bust stop following work I noticed runners everywhere. As the bus rolled up the hill to Cleveland Heights, I watched runners climbing and descending Mayfield. I wanted to press my nose to the window to see them all run. I twisted in my seat to get a glimpse of all the runners heading into the cemetery. As I walked from my stop , it seemed that everyone on Coventry was headed out for a run. I noticed nothing else. My heart was stiring inside. I wanted to go out and run too.

But for me this evening there is only this runners envy. Like a dog in a car at the dog park, I can only look forward to my run tomorrow. I will be rested.

No comments: