Thursday, April 23, 2009

So, I have a marathon Sunday.

I am excited right now for this race. More so then I was for IMKY. I think the reason is that I have goals in running. In triathlon I don't really have any major goals left. Right now I see triathlon as something that I love to do. It is fun for me, but I don't have any major goals left. I think I have peaked with Ironman. I love the sport and will continue to race for the joy of racing, I will train as a triathlete, and I will identify my self as a triathlete. But right now, Iam distracted bytwo new attainable goals. Both are running goals.

The first and most remote goal is Boston. I would love to qualify and run Boston. My next age up brings the times to within a more attainable time. I think with focused dedicated run training I could meet the 3:30 time standard. It won't be easy, but it is possible. I have a few years before I move up.

My other goal is a 50 miler. This one is more realisticly achieved in the "near" future. I get the LOOOONG DAYYYYYYYY. I just need to adjust to the idea that this race is a pure running race that will last longer then the Ironman bike. This intimidates me. Intimidation motivates me.

So this race this weekend is the first major race since I re evaluated my training plans and goals. I am entering this race having spent all spring with a desire to train. I have not had that hunger since Ironman UK. Last year I was completely uninspired. I had moments. Steelhead was an amazing race for me and at Louisville, I met my Maker. I look back in a positive way. But for the most part, I was just not into it, thhis made it very difficult. Since I have started flirting with the long term running goals I have entered into my training with a new desire.

My goals this weekend are to stay within my self and explore the world of long distance trail running. I don't think a PR is in the works, but I do know my fitness is high. I am peaking perfectly. I have absolutely no doubt in my training. My health has been good. Not one cold or flu all spring. I tweeked my ankle on an early trail run, but nothing bad enough to slow me. I have benefited grately from the CSU rec center. I have no reason to expect a bad race. So a steady pace is my ultimate goal.

I will try to update the blog through out the weekend.

No comments: